Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sunshine and Spruce Tips

If you live in Juneau, then you know. Oh my goodness, the weather! I'm wearing flip flops and sweating. The kids are laying around moaning about the heat. It's beautiful, and we've been spending a lot of time outside. I've also cooked a little bit, but done absolutely nothing else productive.

Porter and I gathered some spruce tips the other day and made Spruce Tip Shortbread. Yum! It was so easy and very Alaskan. Thanks to Jennifer for the inspiration. Here is her blog entry on spruce tip jelly (which is great, I know, because my jar is half gone) and other edible ideas. Lots of links.



We've also had Pasta with Broccoli and Sausage, and Dungeness Crab Quesadillas with Braised Mustard Greens. We haven't been very successful in the fishing department lately (although I did catch a double ugly with the Superman pole the other day, and Porter proclaimed me an awesome fisherman). But our crab pots have been full. A person can only eat so many crab legs (I know, my life is tough), so I've been searching for more recipes. The quesadillas were good! The kids even mostly ate them.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, nice! I need to try something else before they all grow out. In fact, I am going out this morning before my busy day begins to pick some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is so different from mine... I don't have a clue what this means -

    "I did catch a double ugly with the Superman pole " ???

    I used to know a guy who liked to brew Spruce Beer. It was pretty popular with the beer drinking crowd, which doesn't include me, so I can't tell you what it was like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Lori. It's nothing cryptic. Porter has a Superman fishing pole, and a double ugly is a sculpin (just a little, ugly fish that you don't want to keep). So basically I rock. ;)

    The Alaskan Brewing Company makes a Winter Ale with spruce tips, and I love it. Yum.

    ReplyDelete