Monday, July 19, 2010

Fish and Kelp

Is pretty much what I did all day.

We took the boat out yesterday and finally managed to wrangle up some salmon. And also some bull kelp. It was late when we got home, and we threw it all in the fridge. And then Bryce left for work this morning for one of his five thousand hour shifts where he doesn't really come home for days, and I came up with grand plans about canning fish, smoking fish, and making kelp pickles despite the fact that I have never done any of those things before, and Porter had swimming lessons and we HAD to go to the grocery store.

But I did it. Most of it anyway. I bought a pressure canner, canned some salmon, made and canned some kelp pickles, and have the rest of the fish soaking in a brine in the fridge so I can figure out how to use the smoker tomorrow. I took some pictures, but it turns out that canned salmon and kelp pickles look kind of gross (hopefully they will not taste that way). Porter did watch a lot of TV and Molly ran rampant with a Sharpie, and it was a nice afternoon, and we never got out of the house. But, it was kind of fun too.

On other notes:

I did take Dawson to the vet. It is disgusting and now involves would irrigation and antibiotics. But he's going to be fine.

It's week two of the Couch to 5K. I haven't given up yet!

And now I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment