Monday, March 29, 2010

End of an Era

So Molly is 16 months old now. I am still nursing her. I only nursed Porter for about 8 months, so this toddler business is new to me. She loves it. It's been really easy and nice for everyone involved. She never took a bottle, and she still will not drink milk. But now I am thinking that it's time to be done. She is my baby and a huge part of me is sad to think about this part of our lives being finished.

BUT, she is turning into the biggest crank-pot ever with me. And I think the nursing has a lot to do with it. I wasn't even clued in to this until my lovely friend Elena said that was when she weaned all of her babies. When they were fussy with her and perfectly happy with everyone else. And that is exactly what Molly is doing. She can be having a grand old time with Bryce, then as soon as I come along she's whiny and fussy and clingy and I can't do anything. Even though she doesn't talk, she can now ask to nurse, and when I refuse, she throws a tantrum. Fists pumping the floor kind of thing.

PLUS, I have to admit that it sounds nice to have my body back. To be able to drink 4 cups of coffee with impunity. And to be able to leave her overnight with other people (namely my mom this summer!) and not have to worry.

So I know all this, but I am dragging my feet. I guess I just have to do it. Maybe next week.


I'm Cooking: Last night I made Cream of Celery soup. I just used half the cream and more chicken stock. I'm not the biggest fan of celery, but this was tasty, a standard creamy vegetable soup. And Bryce couldn't even figure out what was in it. It's kind of rich, and would be better as a first course (not that we have meals with courses around here) I think. I also made a Key Lime Pie. I use the recipe from my Fannie Farmer Baking Book, but I found it here online. I use a graham cracker crust though, and I always end up using like 10 tablespoons lime juice. Have I mentioned that I love limes?








2 comments:

  1. I haven't stopped yet. And with Finn's recent allergy outbreak, I've never been so glad to still be able to offer him the comfort of nursing.

    Pshew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following Finn's ordeal on FB. I hope he is all the way better very soon!

    ReplyDelete