Thursday, August 12, 2010

And so it goes...

The Fruit Glut of 2010 continues here. The above bowls (crab apples, gooseberries, black currants and raspberries) were what came from about an hour in my yard this morning. It's pretty and lovely, but I'm getting a little burnt out! If any of my local friends have any desire to pick berries, please let me know! Although I'm sure you have your own bounty to contend with, there are still a lot of currants, raspberries and blueberries (these are harder to get to at this point though, being back in the woods). The cherries are beginning to rot, but some are still good. And there will be a modest amount of service berries and gooseberries I'm sure. Let me know! I'm just going to put all these in the fridge and deal with them later. I'm thinking of crab apple/gooseberry jelly though.

On another note, I got to hold this beauty yesterday! Nothing like a 6 day old to give you baby fever.



I'm Cooking: Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Sauce, Salad and Bread. I found this pasta recipe in a Cook's Country magazine, and it's so easy and good, perfect for summer. Plus, my kids eat it up, while they are not fans of bell peppers in their virgin state. You could roast your own peppers if you want!

Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Sauce

1 big jar roasted red peppers
1 can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons red wine (optional)
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup (or less) heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste

Puree red peppers (drained), tomatoes, oregano, cayenne, wine and oil in a food processor until almost smooth.

Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan and return to medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add red pepper mixture and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream (I usually find that 1/2 cup is enough) and half the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.

Toss sauce with 1 pound of cooked pasta, sprinkling with remaining bacon.





2 comments:

  1. Jessy,
    Depending on how many crab apples you have I grew up on a wonderful crab apple cider, fantastic warm, had plenty of flavor without added spices.
    This is the basic, but if you have enough you could cold pack it and have all that wonderful vitamen C in the winter.
    http://magical-mama.livejournal.com/58275.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I started jelly today, but there will be more to harvest soon and I'll have to try that. It looks easy too!

    ReplyDelete