Friday, January 6, 2012

Maximum Activity

I've written a lot about how different Porter and Molly were as babies and toddlers.  And now that Molly is getting a bit older and out in the world, the differences are even more striking.

Porter has always been the kid (much like me) who doesn't raise his hand, who looks at the ground when a stranger asks him a question (still, even now), who is a little shy and does best in small groups.  Molly, on the other hand, happily volunteers personal information to the grocery checker and the guy walking by on the street, and is that kid who is raising their hand before the teacher is even done asking the question because she just wants to talk, about anything. 

Porter does love to get out and do things, but he has always needed a lot of down time at home too.  It has been easy not to over schedule him, because he lets me know when he's had enough, and when he just doesn't want to participate anymore.  When you ask him if he wants to go somewhere, he thinks hard, and the answer is often no.  But with Molly, she is the happiest on the go.  If you ask her if she wants to go fishing or to Home Depot or to the doctor to get a shot, the answer is always YES.  She enthusiastically begs to participate in everything she's seen Porter do and more.  So all of a sudden I found her enrolled in preschool, skiing lessons, swimming lessons and ballet class.  All at the same time.  She's only three and that seems like a lot!  I've always said I wouldn't over schedule my kids, and it seems like I've already done it.  Sigh.  But she loves it.  All of it.  So I guess we will just see where it goes.

At least I don't have to cart Cedar around to anything yet.  I see my days as a chauffeur approaching quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment