Monday, September 26, 2011

Laundry & Challah

I know that this likely is the most boring post in this history of ever, but here it is. Laundry. This is one thing I just seem to totally suck at. I mean, I do it. All the time. But all of the kids' clothes seem to be covered in stains two weeks after I buy them, and my whites get dingy and colors fade and it never seems to smell that good. Gah. Bryce has a sensitive skin issue, so I don't like buying anything scented. Plus I figure babies and kids don't need lavender fresh mountain breeze artificial smells on them either. So I usually end up buying organic, awesome free and clear stuff, but honestly, it doesn't work that well. And it's expensive.

I've been meaning to try making my own laundry detergent forever, and always thought it would be a pain in the neck. But? It actually is embarrassingly easy. There are a million recipes out there on the web, but they're all pretty similar. I made a small batch this first time, but I'll probably make a huge tub soon. I used:

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar Fels Naptha laundry soap, grated

I found all this stuff at the grocery store. You can really use lots of different kinds of soap too, I think I'll use Ivory next time. Upon inspection of old detergent bottles, these things seem to be the basic ingredients in commercial laundry soap, along with a few other mystery items. You mix it together and use a heaping tablespoon per wash. Super, super cheap. And so far, so good. My clothes smell fresh from the dryer, and although I haven't had any epic diaper blow-outs or grass stains yet, it seems to be working well.

I made this batch plain to try it out. But the best part for me is that you can add a few drops of essential oil to the mix to get a fragrance. I am guessing that this will be okay for Bryce and the kids, and then I will actually get good smelling laundry for the first time in years. So, for me, it's really not about being green or saving money (although that is a bonus), but just getting what I want instead of a lot of what I don't.

Also! I made bread this weekend. It had been a long time. I used this recipe for Challah as I am always trying to use more eggs these days, and it turned out delicious. I need to work on my braiding technique, but this link has some very nice instructions for the six stranded braid. Really, really awesome toast.



4 comments:

  1. Cool!! I may have to try that. I agree about the organic detergent being expensive and not working all that well anyhow. Great looking bread! Must've been very yummy. :)
    Zoya

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread looks absolutely beautiful. Your dad is impressed with the homemade detergent. That's what he wants to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! That's such yummy bread, and it makes the best French toast (which also uses up more eggs). Also, I just spend $7 on Method laundry soap. 50 loads in a teeny bottle but it's mountain fresh air!!! I'll have to try the handmade when I'm done. Hmmm... I wonder if they have mountain fresh air essential oils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, french toast! We ate the first loaf too fast, but I made two and have one in the freezer still. French toast is in our future.

    ReplyDelete