Thursday, June 28, 2012

(Not) A Hockey Mom

So Porter made some really good friends at school last year.  Nice kids with nice parents, an all around good deal.  And all of them happen to play hockey.  So of course after to listening to them all year, Porter has been asking me if he can play hockey this winter too. 

Hockey is big here, and I know a lot of hockey families.  They have extolled the virtues of the puck, and told me all about how much their kids love it.  But the thing is...we are not a hockey family.  Neither of us grew up with it, played it, watched it or know anything about it.  Porter hasn't shown much of a love for ice skating the times that we've taken him.  And hockey is a big commitment, monetarily and time-wise.  Standing around at the ice rink with the girls several times a week all winter long doesn't sound particularly fun to me.

We are, however, a skiing family.  Both Bryce and I love it, and the season is about the same as hockey.  Lots of people do both, but it means that every weekend is packed full of activity, and I'm just not interested in being super busy.  Porter likes skiing so far, but he is so young.  He could love hockey too.

I hate to say no to something he wants to try.  And I hate to force my own interests on my children.  But I think that's exactly what we're going to do.  I'm going to talk him out of hockey and into skiing, because it seems like the best fit for our family.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I feel kind of bad.  But it also feels like a first world problem.  I think we will all survive, hockey stars or otherwise.


Also, food!  I've been meaning to post about this for awhile, but I made these Asian Salmon Burgers with Lime Edamame Spread and they were amazing!  They actually hold together no matter how you cook them, and the flavor is fabulous, even on months old freezer salmon.  Yum.  Even Porter, who is a purist about foods, ate an entire burger.  Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Hope the items in the package you received today fit, bought some of them back in Feb.

    Much Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are doing just fine. It would be nice if we could allow our children to explore all options. As his parents you are looking at what is best for the entire family. I think you are making a good decision. At some point in the future he may want to do hockey and you will explore the decision again and what works for everyone.

    ReplyDelete