Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eggs!

I keep forgetting to mention that our chickens finally started laying eggs. What a treat! As long as I keep them shut in the coop for the first part of the day, they lay in their nest boxes where they should, and they are so noisy afterwards that I can sort of tell when to go out and gather. The eggs are absolutely delicious, and we are averaging about 3 a day right now. We've even gotten a bunch of double yolked eggs, which is a trend that I'm hoping continues. Although we are eating a lot of fried eggs right now, I'm seeing how we will quickly get overwhelmed, so I've been on the look out for recipes that use up a bounty. I've got this Coconut Cream Pound Cake in the oven right now, and it smells heavenly. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I also got around to picking our raspberries and making a batch of jam. Raspberry jam is the preferred PB&J ingredient around here, and I got about 5 jars out of this batch. I'm hoping it lasts us through the winter, although I sort of suspect it will not. In either case, Molly and I ate a bowl of it with a spoon, warm out of the pot. Life is sweet.





No comments:

Post a Comment